Marlborough Primary Health works to encourage best practice and cost effective prescribing and use of medicines across Marlborough, encompassing the pharmaceutical process from prescribing, dispensing and administration, to monitoring the outcomes of those medicines, beneficial or adverse, including the advice and information given to patients and health professionals through activities such as:
- GP visits
- Feedback on medicines use (prescription analysis)
- Medicines audits
- Liaising with practice managers and local professional development providers
- Using national and local best practice guidelines,
- Facilitating continuing education programmes
- Publishing medicine information bulletins and the provision of medicines information.
Marlborough Primary Health works closely with Nelson Marlborough DHB as members of the Medicines Management Group who are focusing on three work streams: antibiotics, gout and anti-psychotics in the elderly.